The Original Flag
The original Ethiopian flag consists a red, yellow and green colored pennants and dates back to as early as the 17th century. Although the proportion and shape of the colors may have varied, the Ethiopian flag remains to have all three colors. Each color has its own interpretation and has a special importance in the Ethiopian Empire’s Solomonic dynasty.
The Empire Flag
On 6th October 1897, the original Ethiopian flag was changed, as the pennants were transformed to rectangles. At this point, the green representing the country’s fertile land, the yellow it’s natural wealth and Christianity and the red, the power and faith of the nation. In early 19 century the colors were re-arranged and the Lion of Judah bearing a cross, features on the central stripe was featured in the center of the flag.
The Imperial Flag
In 1949 a flag was introduced for His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie portraying the empire flag with encircled by the collar of the Order of Solomon’s Seal featuring a Shield of David or Star of David with a cross, at each corner and in the bottom middle of the flag.
The Colony Flag
The People’s Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Flag
In 1987 the People’s Democratic Republic introduced a new flag with a blue shield and a stele of the ancient Kingdom of Aksum. The flag also attributed a cogwheel, a yellow star on red, yellow rays, and the country’s name at the top in Ge’ez characters.
The Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front Flag
On February 1996 the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front introduced a new flag with a blue disk, symbolizing ”the bright prospect in sight for the Nations, Nationalities and Peoples (of Ethiopia) united in their common will”.
The Tricolour Flag
In 1991 the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front changed flag to the Tricolour flag, which has always been used widely irrespective of the regime in power.